← Programs / International Business (BIB)
The Sprott School of Business offers a Bachelor of International Business which is recognized as a leading program in international business education. With a focus on international business, you will develop cross-cultural skills, become proficient in another language and study abroad for a year in a country where that language is spoken.
The Bachelor of International Business delivers a unique business education that is truly international.
The Sprott School of Business also offers a separate Bachelor of Commerce degree program.
Experience firsthand what Sprott has to offer by shadowing a Sprott student for a day. Learn more and register now for Sprott Student for a Day!
The Carleton advantage
Business is personal at Sprott. Here you’ll belong to a spirited and connected student community that offers endless opportunities to explore your interests and build your personal and professional networks, while gaining valuable skills and experiences that help you stand out to employers.
- Home to a tightknit community and ready-made network for students.
- Outstanding student support.
- Close interaction between faculty and students.
- Real-world learning through industry speakers, class trips, case studies, hands on projects involving real organizations as clients, and pratica in all concentrations.
- Career development from first to final years.
- Experiential learning opportunities, such as interuniversity case competitions and Sprott’s student-managed investment fund.
- Award-winning faculty who have been recognized for teaching and research excellence.
- Research-intensive culture brings latest business knowledge directly to the classroom
- A leader in international business education. 2014/15 marked the 20th anniversary of Sprott’s acclaimed Bachelor of International Business program.
- Internationally accredited by AACSB International and the Network of International Business Schools.
- Study abroad opportunities for all business undergraduates.
- International business programs offered at all academic levels—undergraduate, MBA, PhD.
- The Sprott MBA is delivered in Canada, China and Colombia.
- Sprott students participate in international business competitions.
- International faculty
Sprott Business Career Management Centre
Career planning and preparation throughout your studies is the key to success in finding a rewarding job after graduation.
As a Sprott student, you’ll have exclusive access to a business career centre tailored to meet your needs from first to final year. BCMC offers a full range of services, including:
- mySprott web portal for business-specific job postings and career resources;
- One-on-one career advising, resume review and interview preparation;
- Industry career panels and employer events;
- Opportunities to meet and network with alumni of the program;
- Tickets to business networking events, such as the Mayor’s Breakfast Series;
- Special workshops to help you stand out to employers, such as business fashion and social media for networking; and
- Access to CareerLeader, a self-assessment tool used by top business schools worldwide, including Harvard, Stanford, Oxford and INSEAD, that matches your interests and skills to business career paths.
Sprott Student Investment Fund
Students who dream of careers on Bay Street and Wall Street have the ultimate opportunity to gain real money-management experience and learn investment strategies through the Sprott Student Investment Fund (SSIF).
Managed by a team of top finance students, SSIF is an investment portfolio valued at close to $900,000. All members of the fund contribute to the analysis process, helping to assemble the ideal portfolio that safely and wisely grows the fund’s capital.
Alumni of the fund have gone on to top graduate programs and careers in investment banking and financial services at such organizations as Bank of Canada, Brookfield Asset Management, Canaccord Genuity, M Partners, and RBC Capital Markets.
Sprott students have proven they are among the best in the world, earning top place finishes at major national and international business case competitions.
In case competitions, teams must apply all of the knowledge gained through their courses to prepare and present a solution to a real-life business problem, in just a few hours.
Through Sprott Competes, our case training program, students develop skills that are highly valued by employers such as integrative thinking, decision making, communication, public speaking, the ability to work under pressure, and teamwork. Students are exposed to a variety of real-life business scenarios and feedback from industry professionals, giving them a real-world perspective that is typically gained through on the-job experience.
Sprott students are known for their passion and entrepreneurial spirit. There are 10 student-run organizations at Sprott that offer students opportunities to make new friends, build leadership skills and network with industry professionals, while exploring their interests. All Sprott undergraduates automatically belong to the Sprott Business Students’ Society (SBSS). SBSS puts on a number of events throughout the year, including the annual Business Banquet, 5 Days for the Homeless campaign, case competitions, sports tournaments and social events.
The capital advantage
At Carleton, we have the distinct advantage of being situated in Ottawa, Canada’s capital, which offers our students unique opportunities and a complementary blend of city life and nature, culture and heritage, business and government.
Best known as the seat of Canada’s federal government, Ottawa offers an unparalleled international network of government departments, international agencies, global companies, and over 130 embassies and high commissions.
Ottawa is home to a global technology hub of over 1,900 companies, ranging from large multinationals to small and medium sized enterprises. Ottawa is Canada’s most connected city and boasts a strong entrepreneurial culture.
For students, Ottawa offers employment and co-operative A Capital Location education opportunities in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors. Students have numerous opportunities throughout the year to network with industry professionals, who often take part in courses as guest speakers and presentation judges.
Ottawa offers the best of both worlds—the benefits of a big city with the feel of a small town. Ottawa ranks third in North America and 16th in the world in Mercer’s Quality of Living Survey 2015, and is one of the country’s most affordable cities.
As the nation’s capital, Ottawa hosts many visiting dignitaries, major sporting events, and over 50 festivals including Winterlude, Bluesfest and Canada Day. Ottawa is home to national museums, historic sites, and the Ottawa Senators hockey team.
Ottawa is one of the world’s most picturesque capitals with many parks, waterways and green spaces. Winter activities include downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, and ice skating along the world’s longest skating rink. In warmer seasons, activities include cycling, golf, white water rafting, kayaking, ziplining and more. Just minutes from downtown lies Gatineau Park, 361 square kilometers of forest, lakes, nature trails, beaches and stunning lookouts.
Carleton’s campus is situated a short ride from Parliament Hill and the downtown core. Our self-contained campus is bordered by the Rideau Canal, the Rideau River and a quiet residential neighbourhood. The campus is well serviced by public transportation with several bus routes and light rail stopping on campus.
Sprott’s Bachelor of International Business is recognized as a leading program in international business education.
The Bachelor of International Business (BIB) develops highly skilled professionals with the background and training to help companies succeed in the global marketplace.
The program focuses on five key elements:
- intensive language training in another language to enhance your competitiveness and career options (Years 1 & 2);
- full academic year abroad to increase language fluency and cultural knowledge (Year 3);
- core courses in business fundamentals;
- specialized courses in international business; and
- three concentration options for further specialization
- Global financial management and systems
- International marketing and trade
- International strategy and human resources management
More information on the concentrations can be found below.
The BIB may also be completed without a concentration. In place of concentration requirement courses, students complete courses selected from across concentrations and courses related to international business management.
In today’s global business environment, international experience is a standout item on your resumé. Studying abroad offers students a life-changing opportunity to be immersed in another culture and region of the world, thereby developing cross-cultural skills and a global perspective.
Study abroad is open to all Sprott undergraduates. Through Carleton’s exchange agreements, students pay Carleton tuition and receive transfer of credits for successfully completed courses.
All Bachelor of International Business students spend a mandatory full academic year studying abroad at one of 40+ partner institutions in 13 countries. In addition to study abroad, Sprott students have many opportunities to gain international experiences, including taking part in international case competitions, global leadership programs, and international internships.
Language requirements (other than English)
In years one and two, BIB students are required to take language courses in one of: French, German, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese, or Spanish.
Where can your Bachelor of International Business lead you? Here is just a sampling of career paths you can pursue with your degree. (Further education may be required.)
- business analysis
- business development
- foreign affairs
- international finance
- international human resources
- international marketing
- international trade
- regulatory affairs
Many BIB alumni have gone on to graduate programs in Business, Finance, International Affairs, Law, International Development, Communications and more. The Sprott School offers an accelerated MBA for business graduates, allowing them to complete the Sprott MBA in just 12 months and includes an internship. Learn more at sprott.carleton.ca/mba. The Sprott Master of Accounting is accredited by CPA Ontario and provides direct access to the CPA Common Final Exam. Learn more at sprott.carleton.ca/macc